Saturday, July 26, 2014

I Think I'll Go Eat Worms - Great Peoplel Give God Glory



                                 I Think I'll Go Eat Worms
“They shouted, ‘This is the voice of a god, not of a man. Immediately, because Herod did not give praise to God, an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms and died.”
Acts 12:23
King Herod primped in front of his favorite mirror while his servants arrayed him in royal silvery garments that glistened in the sun. “Oh, yeah, I’m the king. I’m the man.

And what do these rebellious nations think they can do to me? Sure they want peace… they want my resources. I'll give a  speech... that will bring their surrender."
Properly arrayed, properly situated on his throne, the pompous king strutted toward his podium. I’m good at making speeches. People always marvel. Brilliant, that’s what they say—brilliant!
So King Herod opened his mouth and it happened just as he planned.
The crowd listened with intensity and exclaimed in unison. “This is the voice of a god, not of a man." (Acts 12:23) 

As King Herod soaked in their praise, the angel of the Lord, struck him,down... worms ate his body... and he died! Can you believe that? Well as disgusting as it is...it really happened!

God had gifted this king to speak but the king thought the gift was his own. He didn’t need God. Why would he? He was born with a golden tongue. He was a natural.

No generation remembers King Herod with affection. He was a blustering windpipe enthralled with his position, his power, and his regalia!

Had the Almighty written him off without a chance to change? No, God doesn't operate that way.Herod had killed James the apostle, attempted to kill Peter another apostle of Jesus, and seen the miracles...all without a change of heart. 



In the end, a man, who refused to glorify God, a man thirsty for his own glory...died in shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment