Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Sacrifice



                                    The Sacrifice
The easy way?
“Be the first president? After eight long years this war has taken everything out of me. I long for home… for Patsy. I’ve done enough!”
But that didn’t happen. George Washington kissed Mt Vernon goodbye, packed up his Bible, his family, and headed for Washington. His sacrifice is a legacy never forgotten.
Another way out?
“Why's my husband fighting this war? He’s nearly dead from the heat of the cannon. I’m leaving. Going to get my husband, take my pitcher, and go home. Let these soldiers fight their own war!”
Not so! Molly Pitcher threw down the pitcher, and took command of her
husband’s post as a gunner. Believe it or not, she helped the struggling army win the battle at Monmouth. She is forever remembered for amazing courage in the face of evil.

Justified escape?
“Be a spy? Place myself in imminent danger! I’ll surely
die and bring disgrace upon myself. I’ll return to my simple, quiet life as a teacher. Let someone else play the fool. I’ve got my own life to live…too young to die.”
But Nathan Hale met a cruel death by hanging. He was given no mercy, no Bible and no pastor to comfort him. Despite all, his final words have been immortalized. “I regret I have but one life to lose for my country.” He was twenty-one.
A hero is never born out of self- pity. A hero rises when he lays his life aside and risks following Jesus Christ—no matter what! No matter if peers call him weird…fanatic…out of step. No matter if his teachers confront him and demean him publicly. Because he/she knows there is a dying world that needs God’s love.
Jesus set the precedent with these words and with his life. He is calling YOU to follow...to sacrifice!
 “Greater love has no man than this that a man gives up his life
for his friends.”
John 15:13 (BBE)

No comments:

Post a Comment